Rotary Club Estoi Palace International (RCEPI) held its 8th annual prestigious Rotary Charity Golf Tournament on Thursday 27th August at the magnificent Monte Rei Golf and Country Club, a ‘signature’ Jack Nicklaus designed course.
Due to Covid 19 restrictions it was a rather different event this year. The tournament was limited to 45 players instead of the usual 80, and to ensure social distancing each team of 3 or 4 was asked to start play at 15 minute intervals instead of the usual “shotgun” start where all players start at the same time. Participants were also able to take part in the “Beat the Pro” competition and 4 players were delighted to achieve this feat.
Despite the restrictions, the day was hugely successful with the team at Monte Rei always on hand to help and advise players, and they provided a magnificent lunch under difficult circumstances. The event organizer Richard Thorpe from RCEPI said “It was a great day. Many of the players told me how much they had enjoyed it, so I feel happy that all the hard work by my Rotary colleagues and the Monte Rei team paid off.”
It was not possible to hold the usual award ceremony on the day so all players were invited to attend a virtual ceremony online which was held one week later on Thursday 3rd September.
This year’s winners were: Men: 1st Place: Alan Blaszkiewicz – 41pts, 2nd Place: Jorge Alonso with41pts and 3rd Place: Joao Paulo Rocha with 37 points. Ladies: 1st Place: Varena Kondes with 39 points, 2nd Place: Yarida Kabinpong with 39 points and 3rd Place: Nerea Echevarria with 37 points.
The event raised over 4000 euros, which will support local charities Community as well as International Projects. To date, RCEPI has helped fund numerous projects including
- A refrigerated truck for the Faro Food Bank
- A mobile breast screening unit for the Algarve Oncology Association
- A van to provide mobile lung cancer screening in the Algarve
- Donating wheelchairs to the local community
- Purchasing Christmas gifts for disadvantaged children
- Helping fund a new, fully equipped ambulance for Sao Bras fire department,
- Financing a local milk programme to help the Faro Food Bank
- Funding crucial wheelchair access
- Funding university education for students
- PPE for staff at Faro Hospital
RCEPI is looking forward to welcoming golfers back to Monte Rei next year when hopefully things will have returned to normal. To participate in the 2021 Charity Golf event, the Club advises golfers to book early, to avoid disappointment as places are limited.