The most important day in the Rotary calendar is the Presidential Handover and Rotary Club Estoi Palace International (RCEPI) chose the beautiful Vila Monte Farmhouse in Moncarapacho for this event on Friday 28th June.
Almost 100 Algarve Rotarians and guests listened to outgoing President Bruno Sousa Costa reflect on his year in office – during which the Club raised over 25.000€ to improve the lives of the local community as well as support international causes. The President’s personal project had been helping Sao Bras charity Caritas purchase a much needed van, and he saw this dream realised as the van was delivered on the 28th and made its first appearance at the handover for all to see. RCEPI together with the Wolf Valley Charity contributed 5000 euros to this.
- During his Presidential year, Bruno saw the Club celebrate its 10th anniversary and support amongst others the following community causes
- Algarve Oncology Association – mobile lung and skin cancer testing equipment
- Escola Básica Poeta Emiliano da Costa – Dictionaries for the 5th grade. Merit certificates for outstanding pupils. IT equipment with programmes designed for special needs children to use. Career talks.
- APPC – Association supporting cerebral palsy children and their families – a special posture wheelchair
- Faro Paediatric Unit – together with Rotary Club Faro contributing to the purchase of a vein detecting machine
- Internationally the Club is supporting an anti-child abuse project in Chile and also raised 3000 euros towards the Rotary International keystone project of “End Polio Now”
Our incoming president for the 2019-2020 Rotary Year, Christine Fay, an experienced humanitarian, expressed her aspirations to continue supporting the eradication of Polio, as well as the fantastic work done by the Club over the last 10 years in support of the local community of Estoi and the wider Portuguese and international community.
The mission statement of the Rotary Foundation is to enable Rotarians to advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through the improvement of health, the support of education, and the alleviation of poverty and the RCEPI has been honoured to uphold these values during the Presidency of Bruno Sousa Costa and shall continue to do so for the forthcoming year under the stewardship of President Christine Fay.
For further information on RC Estoi Palace International contact , www.rotaryestoipalace.org